Wednesday, July 9, 2008

The Stadium

While we're waiting for the baby to get here, I thought I would throw in a little thought about Yankee stadium. As I was driving to an appointment this morning, I heard a commentary by Frank DeFord about the stadium and the all-star game. (If you want to hear it, go to http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92329107 and click on "Listen Now.") It was pretty good but it made me sad that we're probably never going to get to see a game there again. I've seen some pretty memorable games there, including game four of the 2001 World Series when the Yankees came back from being down and won the game with a home run from Derek Jeter. I also have walked out before some incredible endings, like when Jason Giambi hit a grand slam in the pouring rain to beat (whoever--I don't remember) in the 14th inning. (Still can't believe I missed that one.) Anyway, I hope some of you New Yorkers/New Jerseyans are getting a chance to enjoy the last season at the Stadium, even though the Yankees are less than inspiring this year. I've enjoyed some great times there and will miss it when it's gone.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I really hope we can get to a game there, but it is not looking so good. I'm happy you decided to blog. Can't wait to read all about the baby.

MaryAnn, Sheryl, Alyssa & Julia said...

The Tino/Jeter game has to rank up there as one of the all time most thrilling games ever! I'm glad I experienced it with you. That stadium is the best! I will miss it terribly...