Monday, March 23, 2009

On the move!

Well, it's official! Our little man in crawling. So much for thinking he is going to walk before he crawls... A lot of people will tell you that at this age, babies start doing things in an "all of the sudden" way; they literally change overnight. Even though CJ is still suffering from a nasty cough, he did not let it stop him in the crawling department. On Saturday, he just moved his arms (which he as been doing for a while) and for the first time, his legs followed. It was so exciting! The first time he moved about three feet, Daddy and I were cheering like crazy and Christopher stopped, looked at us as though we had lost our minds, and wondered what the fuss was all about. We're trying to encourage him to go the distance by putting his favorite toys a little bit farther away each time. When he is motivated to get them, he's off and there's no stopping him! He is also pulling up to standing and now he is releasing one hand and balancing by just holding on with the other. Of course, this practice has led to several head bumps which is why we decided to bust out the following safety device:
While we have not officially signed him up for hockey yet, we wanted to introduce Chris to my old equipment, little by little so that he will be comfortable when the time comes. (Brian and I were talking about how this was my one and only helmet that I ever used the entire time I played hockey. While the face mask has changed multiple times, the helmet has been used since I was 8 years old. So sorry, CJ. That helmet is pretty gross at this point!) Anyway, I think he looks like a natural and now that he is crawling, I can't wait to teach him the logical next step in the sequence of gross motor skills--ice skating!

No comments: