Friday, January 30, 2009

Excitement!

So I know you're all wondering what I did for my workout today. No? Well I'll tell you anyway, but it's going to take a while to get to the actual workout part... I decided that today was nice enough to be a green consumer and walk to the grocery store with little CJ. We both bundled up (little man can be seen on the left), took our hippie grocery bag and began the journey. There is a tanning salon in a strip mall just before you get to the Price Chopper and as we approached, I noticed several police cars parked haphazardly in front. Several men who looked like detectives strolled calmly into the salon so I figured whatever the matter was, it was not urgent. We continued to our destination, got what we needed and exited the store. As we were walking out, I noticed two police cars slowly canvasing the parking lot and a K-9 unit with a big old German Shepard sniffing the back of the tanning salon. Hmmm, I thought, heck of a day to decide to walk to the grocery store! On the other side of the lot is a Scooter's Coffee shop so I made my way over. I figured, people in coffee shops always know what's going on. I ordered my latte and proceded to ask the cashier if he knew what was going on. He didn't but right behind me was a detective (a large man that I would not want to mess with) who asked the cashier if anyone had noticed any "suspicious activity." After this, and then noticing the K-9 unit making their way across the entire lot, I decided it would be best for us to stay put, especially since the owner of Scooter's thought it best to lock the outer doors. So I put down a blanket, took out CJ's keys and let him hang out while I drank my coffee. I called Daddy to let him know that everything was fine, we were just going to stay there, and we visited with the store's owner and the workers. I guess it ended up being a nice thing, because the people were very friendly, enjoyed Christopher, and will definitely see us in there again for business. After 30 minutes or so the cop cars started to leave so we packed up and headed home. I have not run in several weeks due to an achilles injury but decided now would be an excellent time to test it out. Good news! The leg feels fine! Although it was only a mile, we ran home at a blistering pace (for real this time) and got back safely. But not before a nondescript car with government plates was slowly moving through our neighborhood. I still don't know what's going on but I'm beginning to wonder why we sent Kasey to daycare today. Oh well, who says nothing exciting ever happens in Kansas!

And briefly, squash was a success today. Using a spoon... not so much...

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Scary stuff. Nothing like strolling through a crime scene sipping a latte. Glad we heard about it after the fact.