Thursday, June 4, 2009

Parents as Teachers

As some of you may know, we have been participating in a program through the Olathe Schools called "Parents as Teachers." They basically come every six weeks and give you ideas about activities, inform you about development and do periodic screenings in case there are any developmental delays. I enjoy these visits, first because our lady (Ms. Becky) is nice and I enjoy visiting with her and second because Christopher is so social that even when he is in a bad mood, as soon as Ms. Becky gets here, he is all sunshine again. Today was fun because she did a 10 month screening on him about language, motor, and cognitive skills. Some of the questions she asked me, I honestly didn't know the answer to. For example, she asked if when I put my hand out will Christopher give me a toy that I am asking for. I really had no idea because I can't actively remember ever doing this with him. Later on in our visit, she gave him a Cheerio to see how he picks up food. As he was holding it (he wasn't eating it because he had his pacifier) she put her hand back out and said, "Christopher, can I have the Cheerio?" And what do you know... he gave it back to her! I was shocked, especially considering that the object in question was edible. After he gave it to her, he of course took it back, and when she asked for it again, he took out his pacifier and ate it. That's my boy!

No comments: