Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mama's turn

Now that we have our little Christopher (aka: Little Buds), Brian and I need to alternate the races that we do. For those of you who have been following the blog, you know that Brian did the Bike Source duathlon two weeks ago. Today it was my turn to do the Kansas City Triathlon in Lee's Summit, Missouri. Although we've been having fabulous weather, around 2AM I heard the rumble of thunder and saw flashes of lightning. Now, I have been so excited for this race (my first since giving birth to CJ) that I was like, "Um, excuse me, God, you are not allowed to let it rain today and cancel this race. I'm just not going to have it." Well, God and I go way back so he listened and it turned out to be a beautiful morning to race. (There was an unbelieveable rainbow before the start too!). Even though I've done these triathlons before, I was incredibly nervous before the start of the swim. It doesn't appear that way from the photo below, but my heart rate was high and I hadn't even started yet!
It was my first swim in a wetsuit and that part of it went well but it always takes a bit of time to adjust to open water swimming when you've been in a nice cozy, clear pool for months. (Note to self: practice open water swimming more!). Getting on my new fun bike was, well, fun. They did a great job with the bike course on this race... only a couple hills and most of the roads were freshly paved. For once in my life, I was not being passed by everyone. Actually the only people passing me were the guys doing the longer course who were unbelievably, superhumanly fast!
The run, as always, is my favorite part of the race, although it takes a while for your legs to kick in after being on the bike. The weather was great at that point and everything felt good. As I was running, the winner of the long course was passing me--you know, the guy with 1% body fat who is running like 5 minute miles. Someday...
I have to say that this was a challenging race for me because of my lack of consistent training (still trying to figure that out with CJ), but I enjoyed it more than others because of having Little Buds (and Daddy) there to cheer me on. I did end up placing 2nd in my age group (not too impressive considering there were 7 women in my group, but I'll take it). Christopher does so well at these races, kind of like when we used to bring Kasey and say she was brought into the right family. CJ definitely was born into the right family! He loves watching all the people and was laughing everytime I saw him. The morning was fun and now we are all just basking in the afterglow of a good race.

1 comment:

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Ken & I rotate training for big events. It's worth it, stick with it.

I tend to get the bad weather for my races too, but so glad the weather cleared for you & you were blessed with a rainbow!

Congratulations, 2nd in your agegroup! So cool, nice job.