Monday, January 31, 2011

An open letter to Mother Nature

Dear Snow,

We are SO over you.

I know I speak for east coasters and midwesterners, mothers of young children and Grammy's who have to shovel their own driveways alike when I say enough is enough. It hasn't even started snowing here in our fair city but I just know that we will have had enough of each other come Wednesday. Not only have you dropped 55 inches of yourself on New York, now you have devised a storm of epic proportions that is about to strike almost half of the country. And here's what really irks me, Snow: you are arriving tomorrow. You know who else was supposed to arrive tomorrow? My best friend Chrissie and her adorable little man, Baby Bennett. But alas, you have plotted a blizzard attack on both KC and Chicago and so it is not going to happen (at least not this week). The only route in the country that American Airlines is offering free flight changes to is the one Chrissie and Bennett were supposed to take (ORD to MCI). What, do you think we can all just change our plans at the drop of a hat because you decide to drop in? Hmph.

I supposed we can all forgive you for your dastardly ways; perhaps in the midst of a week-long summer schorcher we will dream of you. You're just lucky I used to be an early childhood teacher who can come up with a million and a half things to do with a toddler on a snow day (or two). Take heed, though. Come Tuesday, Christopher and I will be out in full force wielding shovels and ice melt. You will be no match for our skill and cunning!

Sincerely,
Those of us longing for Spring

No comments: