Sunday, May 9, 2010

Our Second Mother's Day

As I did last year, I would like to start by wishing all the moms out there a very happy mother's day! This goes especially for my own mom Cathleen, who has taught me so many things including how to be a good person, and Brian's mom Jan, who raised Brian to be the wonderful dad and husband he is today. And as Kasey reminded me, mother's day is for all you moms out there who have furry, four-legged kids too! Anyway, my original plan of "sleeping in" today morphed into a new plan of running the Mother's Day 5K in Overland Park at 8AM with 3500 other crazy women. I also thought I could bring Christopher along in the jogger but you could only walk with the jogger. The thought of walking a 5K sounds pretty painful to me! Brian was going to bring Chris to watch but when little man woke up this morning, he was coughing and very congested. Being that it was like 45 degrees and windy out, we thought it best for the boys to stay home. And unbelieveably, they don't let you run with your dog so Kasey had to stay home too! When we registered yesterday, the woman signing me up convinced me to get this adorable shirt for CJ, which I thought he would wear at the race.
If you're having trouble seeing it, the shirt says "My First 5K." I couldn't resist, but now we'll have to find another 5K to jog with Christopher. Anyway, it was a good race and I set a PR! My time was 23:26 and I finished 37th out of 3500ish women and 5th out of 338 women in my age group. (I'm allowed to brag a bit... it's mother's day!). It was a great start to the morning. Even better, when I got home, my fabulous and wonderful husband made me chocolate chip pancakes (don't tell my "Healthy for Life" blog). They were yummy and we had a nice morning hanging out together as a family. More than anything today, I am so proud to be Christopher's mother. It is the best job in the world and it is amazing to watch him grow every day of his life!

No comments: